Gauteng has experienced a surge in violent crimes during the period from January to March 2023, as announced by Elias Mawela, the provincial police commissioner, during the presentation of the fourth quarter crime statistics.
Compared to the same period last year, overall crime in Gauteng has risen by 2,129 incidents.
Notably, there has been a significant increase in murder, attempted sexual assaults, and cash-in-transit robberies.
The highest numbers of crimes were observed in assault causing grievous bodily harm (GBH), common assault, sexual offenses, and common robbery.
“Gauteng has contributed 27.2% to the overall national crime statistics for Q4 of 2022/2023.
It is worth noting that we have observed over the five-year period that this contribution is slightly reducing as in 2019 our contribution was 28.2% which reflects a decrease by 1%,” Mawela said.
Furthermore, he emphasized that contact crime continues to be the primary factor contributing to the overall statistics.
“Although we have seen a slight reduction in robberies with aggravating circumstances, more people are being robbed through online shopping and e-hailing services.”
In contrast, there has been a notable decline in residential burglaries, as well as theft of vehicles and theft from vehicles.
“Only burglary from business premises and stock theft have increased.”
Regarding the Soshanguve tavern shooting, Mawela stated that a dedicated team has been assigned to apprehend the suspect responsible for indiscriminately shooting at the patrons on Sunday.
“The good thing is that the suspect made a mistake when he escaped because he’s left for us crucial evidence which will assist us in tracking him down,” he said.
Additionally, Mawela has urged individuals using social media platforms to refrain from sharing a disturbing video depicting the shooting incident.
“It’s disheartening to see people who were enjoying themselves being targeted and attacked in this manner.”