Nelspruit: 04 July 2023 – The Provincial Commissioner of the SAPS in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Semakaleng Daphney Manamela has cautioned members of the public to be careful when using household items such as coal stoves, gas apparatus to warm themselves and braziers as more deaths are recorded.
The warning comes after the Police in Vosman attended a scene whereby two people (couple) aged 29 and 26 were unfortunately certified dead by the paramedics after they were found dead in bed on 01 July 2023 at Extension 16 in Vosman.
It is believed that the couple inhaled furnace smoke whilst asleep.
The incident occurred whilst another similar one was reported at Clewer in the same area of Vosman whereby a man lost his life and the wife rushed to hospital after allegations of smoke inhalation. In that incident it is further alleged that the couple could have warmed themselves with fire made of coal in a braai stand.
The Provincial Commissioner of the SAPS in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Semakaleng Daphney Manamela has pleaded with communities to avoid situations where they make fires inside their houses from either coal braziers, gas stoves/heaters or any other means then close doors and windows and go to sleep as this can be hazardous and life threatening.